Friday, July 16, 2010

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A.E. Moorat



About the Book:
Title/Author: Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A.E. Moorat
Publisher/Year published: Hodder & Stoughton, 2009
How I got it: The title caught my eye and I bought it
Why I read this book: Look at the title! I just HAD to read this.

After Victoria hears she is to be queen, the first thing she encounters in her bedroom is a demon trying to kill her. A woman, claiming to be a member of the Protektorate (a team of highly trained professionals, dedicated to the monarch), chases it off. Life just got a bit more complicated for Victoria, who already had to deal with her overbearing mother and her mother's secretary Conroy trying to take the throne by controlling her. But Victoria isn't one to be put into the corner and decides to take action when some demons take her love Albert hostage.

First I have to confess I'm a bit of an anglophile. I'll read anything that centers around Queen Elizabeth and after watching The Young Victoria, I became interested in her too. I'd recommend reading up about her before reading this book, cause otherwise you'll probably be a bit lost.
I enjoyed the writing style and the fast pacing of the book. However, I thought the gruesome details about the zombies eating people was a bit much and I'm not really one to be squeamish about that kind of stuff.
Victoria is portrayed as a strong woman here, mentally as well as physically, and I think that much is true about her, she would have had to be to reign as a female. It also shows the love she and Albert shared, which I found to be rather endearing. The rest is of course not based on any real events, but nevertheless, this was a very enjoyable read.
After reading this you'll never look at this woman or the whole royal family in quite the same way.

My rating: 3.5 stars (cause I can't decide whether it should get 3 or 4)

3 comments:

  1. Haha, that sounds awesome. I gotta admit, I kind of love the trend nowadays of monster-fying everything, and this sounds really cool. I'm in the same boat, I love novels that feature historic British royalty, so this sounds right up my alley. I'll have to add it to my 'to read' list (though I guess I'll wiki first, lol).

    Great review!

    (PS: So does that mean you watched The Tudors?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet, but I'm planning to! The show sounds amazing and I love Henry VIII.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's made of awesome and ridiculously pretty people and questionable historical accuracy, but John Rhys Meyers as Henry is worth every minute. It's a great show (if you can ignore the sexist female characterizations), if not the best history lesson :)

    ReplyDelete