Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Top Ten Books That Made You Cry



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the other blog I participate in: The Broke and the Bookish, check it out and join in on the fun, we'd love to see your list!

This Week's Top Ten:
Your Top Ten Books That Made You Cry

1. Almost ANY romance book: I cry at romance in books and I love it! If you haven't made me cry by the end of the book, I'm disappointed. And I'm pretty easy, if there's trouble, starcrossed lovers, people not understanding each ohter, I'll cry. Which makes it pretty embarassing to read in public.

2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: the ending was just so incredibly sad!

3. The Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling:
**SPOILER!!!**
Why did she have to kill Sirius??? He's one of my favourite characters and I just stared at the page with tears in my eyes when Bellatrix killed him.. I kept wishing it wasn't true and he'd find some way to get back through the stupid portal.

4. The Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling:
**SPOILER!!**
What is it with Rowling and killing off my favourites? First Sirius and then Dumbledore.. I've been putting off rereading those books because of this.

5. The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman:
**SPOILER!!**
I SO wanted Lyra and Will to be happy together and then to be torn apart after finally realizing they loved each other.. And not just for a while, but FOREVER! That's just harsh. In my mind they find a way to be together after all.

6. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett:
**SPOILER!!**
He killed Tom Builder! I loved Tom.

7. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:
**SPOILER!!**
That moment when Rue died... I cried for that little girl.

8. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks: I cried at the end, it was so sad and I felt for Noah in his hopelessness.

9. The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier: the conclusion of this story was horrifying and it made me cry.

10. Komt Een Vrouw Bij de Dokter by Kluun: a Dutch book, which rougly translates as A Woman Goes to the Doctor. It's about a woman who's diagnosed with breast cancer, seen through the eyes of her husband. It was really sad.

Pff.. Can't believe I made it to 10! I struggled a bit this week, I don't cry a lot when horrible things happen in books. Which is weird, because with just a tiny bit of romance you'll have me sobbing immediately.

What are books that made you cry?

11 comments:

  1. Great list - thank you for visiting mine and making a comment! :")

    The little Matchgirl is selling matches and sees all the wonderful christmas trees and the food in the houses and while she is dreaming of her grandmother and lightning one match after another she dies of the cold and hunger..

    Excuse me - I think I am going to cry right now -

    As a child I hated this story. So sad - that poor girl!! I don't want to read these stories again.

    My siblings loved them and so they were read to them again and again - and poor little me was sitting there and trying not to cry - good for me that these stories were read when it was time to go to bed so I could hide my tears in my teddy's tummy.. :")

    ReplyDelete
  2. great list! We definitely have agreement on the Harry Potter books, and about Amber Spyglass. I was so hoping for a happy ending with Spyglass, after all they went through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Harry Potter is on a lot of lists so far.
    I guess I have to re-read Amber Spyglass though, I don't remember crying while reading that one, but its made a few lists.
    Here's my list

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I agree with you - what is it in general with J.K. killing off great characters? They're usually all my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One question left: "Komt Een Vrouw Bij de Dokter" is this like the beginnig of a joke? There are some of that kind in German - but I don't remember anyone - because I never remember any jokes.. :")

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeeeez. The Book Thief! Makes me cry thinking about it. I didn't cry during that part in The Hunger Games but it made me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I ever really read the LOTR appendices (the three volumes were enough for me LOL) but I can totally see why Aragorn dying would make you cry! Although like you say, at least it was of old age :D

    I haven't read The Notebook yet but it keeps popping up on people's lists so perhaps I should...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for comming back to answer my question - how very, very cute of you! :")

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I also put down "The Book Thief". What an incredible book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of people are listing Amber Spyglass for Will and Lyra, but nobody remembers Lee and Hester! They got to me most of all :(

    And yeah, poor little Rue...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! You have lots that are on my list too :)

    I forgot about Hunger Games!

    ReplyDelete