Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bumped by Megan McCafferty



Title/Author: Bumped (Bumped #1) by Megan McCafferty
Publisher/Date published: Balzer + Bray, April 26th 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.
Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend Zen, who is way too short for the job.
Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to bring Melody back to Goodside and convince her that “pregging” for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.
When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common."

It was probably also due to my not reading the summary before reading the book, but I was a bit confused at first. And there's so much slang, it was a bit hard for me to get into.

But once I did, it blew me away! I really, really enjoyed this book! I didn't connect to Melody and Harmony from the start, but slowly I got there. For Melody at least. Harmony not so much. If I'd come across someone like Harmony, I'd think they escaped from the nearest mental hospital. And I don't mean it in a positive way (if you can even take that in a positive way).

But I loved Melody. Of course, she's brainwashed as well, but she seemed more realistic. The story switches POV each chapter between Melody and Harmony and while reading Harmony's, I was looking forward to getting back to Melody. I thought she was so much more interesting. I could see myself being friends with her.

And Zen, how I love Zen! Even if he's not 'reproaesthetical' (see, told you there was a lot of slang). I love him and I hope we'll see even more of him in the next book!

It's scary to think that with all the crazy stuff happening in the medical world these days, it could easily be real as far as people only being able to get pregnant until they're 17 or 18 years old. What's also scary is what's happening right now. In Holland where I live, a couple of weeks ago it was all over the news that a 12-year-old girl gave birth to a baby while she was on school trip. A child having a child. It's horrifying.

But, back to the book. I am SOOO looking forward to the next one! I really enjoyed this one and if you enjoy dystopia as a genre, I'd totally recommend it!

My rating: 4 stars

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I loved this one and it totally freaked me out. The slang got to me at first, but I got to roll with it. I didn't expect it to be funny either, but I felt bad for laughing because it's really not funny at all. I'm also looking forward to the sequel. Glad you enjoyed it, Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I passed on this one because I sort of only read one dystopian a year if I have to. :P

    I have heard this one is different though, like a different take of things :) and I do love your review, so I'll keep it in mind for next time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard both good and bad reviews of this book but I, too, loved it! can't wait for no.2!!!

    ReplyDelete