Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson



Title/Author: The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope #2) by Maureen Johnson
Publisher/Date published: HarperTeen, April 26th 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

***SPOILERS POSSIBLE FOR BOOK 1***

Goodreads summary: "Ginny Blackstone thought that the biggest adventure of her life was behind her. She spent last summer traveling around Europe, following the tasks her aunt Peg laid out in a series of letters before she died. When someone stole Ginny's backpack — and the last little blue envelope inside — she resigned herself to never knowing how it was supposed to end.
Months later, a mysterious boy contacts Ginny from London, saying he's found her bag. Finally, Ginny can finish what she started. But instead of ending her journey, the last letter starts a new adventure — one filled with old friends, new loves, and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Ginny finds she must hold on to her wits... and her heart. This time, there are no instructions."

I enjoyed 13 Little Blue Envelopes, though I did have some issues with it. And the same thing goes for this one.

I mean, how are the grown-ups OK with Ginny going off yet again with people she doesn't know??? I mean, really?? If I said I was gonna travel across Europe with a guy I met one day ago, my mom would have me committed to a mental hospital. Or lock me in my room. And believe me, my parents were not that strict. There's just something seriously wrong with the adults in this series.

Now I've gotten that off my chest, let's get on to the other stuff.

I liked Ginny more than I did in the first book. She seems to know what she wants more and though I thought she should have told her uncle about Oliver and his plans right after meeting him, I thought she did alright with the rest of it.
Though I can not for the life of me think of a good reason why she wouldn't have asked Oliver about his reasons for doing what he did in the first place.

I liked Keith in the first book, but in the second he lost pretty much all of his good qualities for me. He just seemed petty, especially compared to Oliver, who I really liked. There's something about those British guys I guess. I hated how he was treated and thought he dealt with it very elegantly.

Another thing I liked: the last assignment Aunt Peg had for Ginny. I LOVED the last part of it and the growth Ginny goes through is amazing! The scene in the graveyard nearly broke my heart.

Also, props to the author for getting the Dutch conversation she has in it right! If anyone who's read it doesn't understand what's being said, let me know, I'm happy to translate ;)

My rating: 3 stars

5 comments:

  1. I tried reading the first book and didn't get too far. I didn't really like Ginny. :-/ Maybe I'll try it again sometime later, because I would like to know what she does lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand why you would have a problem with some of those plot specifics!
    Happily, tho, it looks like they didn't detract too much from your enjoyment of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should read this since I did read and liked the first book. I am intrigued by that last assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this one more than I did the first one, I think Last Little BLue Envelope had a tighter plot.
    But you're right about the adults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for this! I agree with you about adults. That's one of the worst thing about the YA genre.

    ReplyDelete