Monday, June 25, 2012

Sirenz Back In Fashion by Charlotte Bennardo and Natalie Zaman


Title/Author: Sirenz Back In Fashion (Sirenz #2) by Charlotte Bennardo and Natalie Zaman
Publisher/Date published: Flux Books, June 8th 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "It's Hell on heels - again!
When Shar tries on a ring from Hades, it activates an obscure contractual clause that puts Shar and former-frenemy-now-friend Meg in Hades' service once more. Shar is whisked away to the Underworld to prepare a ball for Persephone, while Meg is sent to retrieve the errant soul of spoiled rich girl Paulina Swanson and send her to the abyss. Just when it appears the girls will be doomed to serve Hades for eternity, Shar meets two possibly helpful demi-gods who also happen to be gorgeous. Can the girls finally ditch the Lord of the Dead once and for all?"

**WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR SIRENZ***

I read Sirenz, the first book in this series a while ago and it was such a fun read and as you probably already know, I'm a bit obsessed with Greek Mythology and the appearance of it in YA makes me all giddy and excited to read anything to do with it! So when I saw there would be a sequel to Sirenz I went LET ME HAVE IT!! And I was definitely not disappointed!

In Sirenz we met Meg and Shar and let me just say that those two girls are SO much fun! I'd want to be friends with them! The POV switches between them each chapter and I loved seeing the story through in their different voices. I didn't once get confused as to who was narrating and I love how distinctive their voices and characters were.
They've definitely grown a lot since the beginning of the series and I love it when that happens!

Also, while appreciating both for the wonderful characters they are on their own, I just adored the friendship they share. It's not always easy, especially with all of the Siren stuff going on, but they genuinely care for each other and are willing to put aside their own feelings for the other and take pretty big risks. I loved how they both were better persons for being friends.

Though I did think that the action that triggered all of the events in Sirenz Back In Fashion was a bit of a too-stupid-to-live moment, that was the only one, so I can overlook it. I loved meeting all the new characters and reacquainting myself with those that had also made an appearance in Sirenz.

Basically, this was a really fun, light read and I breezed right through it! The writing is very engaging and though I did figure out one plot twist pretty early on, that's only because I'm such a Greek Mythology geek ;) I did understand how Meg didn't see it, cause yeah, it wasn't all that obvious if you didn't have all the information.

There were sweet moments between the two friends, there's romance, there were laugh out loud funny moments, I especially enjoyed Hades' disgruntledness at Cerebus wanting to cuddle and Shar calling him a 'good goggy'. Also, at the end I went OMG! LET THERE PLEASE BE A SEQUEL!!! So you can imagine my excitement when I saw that Goodreads has a third, untitled book listed for 2013 :)

If you're looking for a fun, Greek Mythology YA that will bring a smile to your face: pick up this series!

My rating: 4,5 stars

1 comment:

  1. The characters do sound like a lot of fun, and yup, I know what you mean about the TSTL moment, but when it's just one moment, I can overlook that too.

    I guess I really do need to check out this series soon :D

    ReplyDelete