Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review of Shadow of Night by Deborah Harknes


Title/Author: Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness
Publisher/Date published: Viking USA, July 10th 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley

Goodreads summary: "Picking up from A Discovery of Witches’ cliffhanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew’s old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens."

**WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR BOOK 1 A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES**

Guys, I really loved A Discovery of Witches, the first book in this trilogy. So immediately upon finishing it, I started Shadow of Night because I couldn't get enough of these characters and the world Deborah Harkness has created. While I didn't enjoy it as much as A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night was still a wonderful read!

We meet Matthew and Diana again when they're getting read to travel back in time to find Ashmole 782 and when I say I was beyond excited to hear they were travelling back to Elizabethan London is putting it mildly. I am SUCH an anglophile and Queen Elizabeth I is one of the most intriguing historical figures in my opinion. I loved meeting all these people I've already read a lot about in a paranormal setting!

Matthew and Diana's relationship goes through some bumps, I must say that I liked Matthew a little less in Shadow of Night. He sort of regresses to his medieval ways and it was somewhat off-putting. The trust they've built in the first book gets cracked and while I get the reasons for it, it was heartbreaking! But he redeems himself in the end, so I'm good.

It was really interesting to learn a LOT more about Diana's magic and her abilities. And I LOVED the firedrake, I wish I had one. I really liked seeing the character development in Diana, she's a smart, loving woman and I love the curious scholar in her!

Like A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night reminds me of taking a trip and enjoying the sights at your leisure. But, with this one, at some points the story dragged a bit. I can't pinpoint what's different from the first book, but there were moments when I was wishing they'd just get to the point already. But mostly I was just enjoying myself at the pace Deborah Harkness has set.

The end promises all kinds of excitement in the third book of the trilogy and I'm anxiously awaiting its name and release date! I can't wait to find out what happens next with Matthew and Diana and everyone else! Also, brownie points for Gallowglass, who is an amazing character who's wormed his way into my heart!

My rating: 4,5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy the series keeps working for you and that the second book in the series turned out to be so good - second books do tend to drag sometimes.

    The magic aspect of it sounds very interesting =)

    Hope the third book is even better :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't the biggest fan of the first book, but I do like the sound of finding out more about Diana's abilities. Glad you enjoyed the book :)

    ReplyDelete