Saturday, January 11, 2014

Review of The Scandal In Kissing an Heir by Sophie Barnes


Title/Author: The Scandal In Kissing an Heir (At the Kingsborough Ball #2) by Sophie Barnes
Publisher/Date published: Avon, January 2nd 2014
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: He is the next Marquis of Wolvington...
She is a lady with nothing but beauty and wits...
Together they share a forbidden kiss.

Lady Rebecca is determined to find a husband on her own terms, rather than marry any of the aging suitors her greedy aunt and uncle foist upon her. Her chance comes at the Kingsborough Ball, where she meets several potential grooms... yet no one compares to the dangerously handsome Daniel Neville.

Daniel Neville, notorious rake and heir to the Marquis of Wolvington, is in need of a bride, but finding a lady who’s willing to accept his past, is an entirely different matter. When he spies a stunning woman across the ballroom, Daniel believes he’s found her... until scandal erupts around them. How can he convince Rebecca to take a chance on him... and on the love that could be theirs forever after?

I was so hoping to love this book, because I've been on a mediocre-book streak for a while now and I just wanted to swoon. And maybe I expected too much from this book, since I did enjoy it, but it didn't have that wow-factor that I was looking for.

Rebecca is a pretty interesting character, she's been pretending to be mad for 2 years in order to escape an arranged marriage by her aunt and uncle. I don't think I could do that, I mean, I think I'd go crazy for real if I had to keep that up. And I'm actually kinda disappointed we didn't actually get to see her pretend to be crazy, because that had the potential to be truly awesome. I get that she wasn't so ready to trust Daniel, but this constant thinking he wouldn't be faithful to her was a bit annoying to be honest. I mean, the guy was really making an effort and she's determined to think he'll go off with other women.

Daniel has a bit of a hero complex. I mean, he's gotten it into his head that he needs to save Rebecca from her aunt and uncle based on one meeting (and her being shot, but that's beside the point) and he's ready to marry her to do so. And I know that he was in need of a wife, but still, tying your life to someone you hardly know always seems a bit not so well thought out to me. But I did think he's a good guy and that he really wants to make something of his life with Rebecca, he just doesn't really know how to do it and messes up in the process a couple of times.

There was a dirty old man, some playing detective themselves, a whole lot of society snubbing and while it was entertaining, I wanted to really FEEL the romance and the drama and it just didn't quite do it for me. Sometimes I wanted to shake some sense into the characters. Sometimes I was just shaking my head. But it was enjoyable enough that I kept reading and I was interested to see how Daniel and Rebecca would get out of the mess they'd partly created themselves, so it was a decent read, but not exceptional.

My rating: 2,5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment