Thursday, April 17, 2014

Review of A World Without Princes by Soman Chainani


Title/Author: A World Without Princes (The School For Good and Evil #2) by Soman Chainani
Publisher/Date published: HarperCollins, April 15th 2014
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: When Agatha secretly wishes she’d chosen a different happy ending, she reopens the gates to the School for Good and Evil. But the world she and Sophie once knew has changed.

Witches and princesses, warlocks and princes are no longer enemies. New bonds are forming; old bonds are being shattered. But underneath this uneasy arrangement, a war is brewing and a dangerous enemy rises. As Agatha and Sophie battle to restore peace, an unexpected threat could destroy everything, and everyone, they love — and this time, it comes from within.

***WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR FIRST BOOK IN THE SERIES***

Guys, I adored The School For Good and Evil, the first book in this series (why do I keep trying to write The School for FOOD and Evil?), it was so cute and boarding school awesomeness and just YES! So obviously I was excited to get to read the sequel!

So Agatha and Sophie are back in business! They start out at their village but obviously they get back to the School, HOORAY! Everything is in shambles because of Agatha's wish and it's now the School for Girls and Boys instead of Good and Evil, so Evers are thrown with Nevers, all the girls on one side and all the boys on the other, so EPIC battle of the sexes! It was kinda scary how every fairytale got turned upside down and all the princes were cut out of it or thrown to the wolves after they'd served their purpose, but also a whole lot of fun.

I actually liked Sophie better this time around than Agatha. I felt like Sophie was a truer friend, even though there were still moments when I wanted to shake her. But especially towards the end of the novel, there were those moments where I just wanted to hug Sophie and tell her everything would be ok and I'd totally be her friend cause she's awesome.
I still really like Agatha, but I felt that she was less in this friendship and I can get where she's coming from, but it wasn't always nice. Especially towards the end. I really didn't like her towards the end.

And while I really liked the whole spin on everything and the fairytales and just going on adventures with Sophie and Agatha again, this one worked a teensy bit less for me than The School for Good and Evil did. There was a little less excitement and I missed the classes, there was some of it, but I would have liked to have so much more of the actual school in there!

But it was still a really sweet story with some harshness thrown in that I had not seen coming and intrigue and just another wholehearted YES! And OMG THAT ENDING! Give me the next book NOW!

My rating: 4 stars

1 comment:

  1. I skipped, just to see that you had liked it, I've been meaning to read the first book but haven't yet! I'll be sure to check it out :D

    ReplyDelete